GEORGE TOWN: Jun 30, 2008
Will Penang get all of the RM40mil it had been allocated for the upgrading of the Penang Hill funicular train service under the Ninth Malaysian Plan?
Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said he had heard talk that the allocation had been withdrawn and condemned the move, saying that it was “in line with former actions (of the Federal Government)”, referring to the shelved monorail project and Penang Outer Ring Road.
“The Federal Government seems to have washed its hands of the funicular train service. This is not the right way to do things,” Lim told a press conference after launching the Penang Hepatitis Day at Queensbay Mall here.
He said there had been no word on when the funds would be released but was still hoping for the allocation so repair works for the service, which was halted last Wednesday, can go on.
He said the funds had been promised under the Ninth Malaysian Plan to change the tracks and cables. It was reported in May that the state government had received an undisclosed “small portion” of the allocation.
He added that the state government would try to coordinate things with the Federal Government.
The train service was halted after defects were found on the cable between the middle and upper stations.